Monday 23 July 2012

Use of technology in teaching Mathematics

Flipping through the textbook, one can find a whole chunk of online resources at the end of every chapter. I have tried some of the online resources and I found myself hooked to exploring almost every single one. If the online resources could engage an adult like me, I think they could help a lot in teaching Mathematics to the children who are used to having things digitalized and the children who are used to using the mouse and touch screens. Rather than doing meaningless worksheets, I think the children would enjoy the interactive nature of these online resources. Some of the resources also pose challenges to the children and I think that they will have a lot of fun learning Mathematics while racing against the cartoon character on their screen.

However, in my opinion, I still think nothing is better than having the concrete-pictorial-abstract approach in teaching Mathematics. Also nothing beats having a teacher who is there to guide and facilitate, who also gives high-fives and praises when the child has done something right and who gives encouragement and motivation when a child hasn't reached the objective yet. Hence, I feel that technology can be used in teaching Mathematics but only to a certain extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment