Saturday 14 July 2012

Reflection on chapter 2

                  'Doing mathematics means generating strategies for solving problem, applying those approaches, seeing if they lead to solutions, and checking to see whether your answers make sense (Van de Walle)' was the quote from the textbook that struck out to me while I was reading the second chapter. This is because I feel that as a student, I did mathematics only to get the right answers and get good grades. This led to me turning into a teacher who taught children to do mathematics to get the right answers and to get good grades. I know now that this should not be the case and I should change my perspective and my objectives when teaching math in my classroom. The quote made me see that doing math and doing a literacy-based lesson is similar because both lead to solutions and the person who solves the problem has to check whether the answer makes sense.

                     I do agree that an appropriate classroom environment is essential when teaching math. I believe that no learning will happen in a classroom where the teacher makes math a chore and where hands-on learning and investigation are not encouraged. The list given on page 14 of the text will help me in ensuring that my classroom is always ready for learning and is always ready for mathematics. I also agree with the part where it said that students should be engaged in a little productive struggle. This is because the children in my class love investigating to find out about things and they always like to do things on their own. A large majority of them will encounter setbacks but they are able to pick themselves up and try to find the answers on their own again. The reactions that they give when they solve a problem on their own or when they find out something new by themselves is priceless and they tend to remember their experience compared to when I teach them something in a lesson where they just have to look and listen to me. I feel that being in a productive struggle somehow makes the lesson more meaningful and the concept that is being taught really stays with the individual. 

                    As a teacher, I am still trying to break out of the habit of asking the children to 'do it as I do'. I hate having to succumb to that feeling whereby I feel like I have no choice but teach in a certain way and it's faster and less of a hassle if the children just follow me. I want to learn how I can make mathematics fun for both the children in my class and for myself. I guess a big mindset change would do me a lot of good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment